Maiden Newton and Frome Vauchurch

Monday, May 15, 2006

The Visitor's Car Park at White Horse Mews

The Parish Council has been trying to get the White Horse Mews car park extended for years now. WDDC has not been very helpful and the matter has dragged on and on. It was raised at the public meeting held in March(?) with Oliver Letwin.

Among the many efforts to get the project moving a petition was gathered at the Newsagent's. If I remember correctly, two or three hundred signatures were gathered supporting the removal of the trees and shrubs to allow for an extra six spaces.

The matter first came up in the summer of 2003 when someone pointed out that the car park was sometimes full. I remember that during that summer, sometimes, it was. Perhaps somebody had lots of visitors that year. Since then a full car park has been a rare occurence despite repeated protestations by just about everyone to the contrary. When the petition was being gathered I did a little survey over a three week period actually counting the number of spaces - yes I know I should get out more. On average there were eight free spaces, there were often eleven or more and on not one of the sixty visits I made was it full. I even did a graph and got a very nice distribution curve.

Over the past three years (nearly) I have kept an eye on the car park usage and have probably visited it three or four hundred times at all hours and days. Mostly there are five to ten free spaces and on only three occasions was it full. Parking always brings out passions in people and I wonder if passion rather than reason is why a problem is being seen where none exists.

11 Comments:

  • I think this is just a waste of money i have never had a problem parking there,money should be spent on stopping the awful and dangerouse parking outside the shops especially the paper shop it is an accident waiting to happen.D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, 15 May, 2006  

  • I agree with D what a waste of money can't they think of anything better to spend thier money on,as the school is a MN address maybe they could spend it on security there or dealing with the ever increasing drug problem in the villages,but then again that is worthwhile isn't it P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, 22 May, 2006  

  • Where is the drug problem in MN?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, 24 May, 2006  

  • There is alot of drug's amongst the youth all around the village either you havn't got youngster's or are blind,if you have not had contact with this side of thing's before you probably can't see it.I have given talks on drug abuse and the affect it has on families and take it from me there is certainly alot of drug/drink use in the villages.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 25 May, 2006  

  • I've had a lot of contact with Drug users and dealers, and have youngsters of my own. They haven't shown any signs of drug misuse yet. I cannot believe there is a serious drug problem in MN though

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, 26 May, 2006  

  • I work for the Trust and it is well known that Maiden Newton has a serious drug problem, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Deb

    By Blogger Deborah, at Wednesday, 19 July, 2006  

  • Can I suggest the anyone who feels strongly about this issue emails Oliver Letwin ASAP. His email address can be found here http://www.upmystreet.com/commons/email/l/57.html
    I have just done this and stated my objections to the proposed extension to the car park. Deb

    By Blogger Deborah, at Wednesday, 19 July, 2006  

  • I have heard a rumour that the parish council or certain members on it are proposing that double yellow lines should be put throughout Dorchester road. If this rumour has any truth could someone please explain the rational and motives for such a draconian idea.Have the views of residents who need to park along dorchester road been sought.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, 19 July, 2006  

  • It is crazy and will just cause more trouble than its worth,they should try to get the cars off of the road by allowing all that can have off road parking.I live in FV and we have alot of cars from MN still park in the school road,yellow lines will just make the problem worse....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, 31 July, 2006  

  • I live in Dorchester Road, I have had threts of violence against my family from pepole in other parts of Maiden Newton because some people do not cars parked outside there homes, the care home has nearly always spare places in thier but the vistors always seem to park on the road forcing Dorchester Road residents to park in other areas, including the car park, this is not an ideal situation, maybe the powers at be should listen to the residents and not talk out of where the sun doesn't shine.

    Residents that have parking should me made to use it.

    The care home should tell thier visitors that there is a car park on site and be told there are other residents that use the parking places outside thier building

    On another subject, to the comments about drug use I have been offerd drugs in the past in Maiden Newton ( never touched the stuff ) I moved here to get away from the stuff and was shocked to find Maiden Newton had a problem. We need to help the people who what help, any suggestions.

    One last thing, has anyone ever seen a traffic speed policeman in Maiden Newton, I know that its the amount of traffic through the village during the day, but lorries and cars race through here in the early hours of the morning it's very dangerous and someone will get hurt
    Frampton seems to have a generous supply of these officers but since I have lived here I have only sometimes seen a very small dispaly board telling me on what speed I am doing. Do the traffic Policemen and Women think that the road stops at Frampton!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, 30 August, 2006  

  • Once again will they make it big enough for the lorries to park which now seem to have taken root in FV if not don't bother,just come and park in FV we seem to be getting all the overflow from MN when will something be done about parking in general it is beyond the bloody joke............

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, 13 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home