Maiden Newton and Frome Vauchurch

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Limits

When I got home at 9:45pm last night and found my inbox full I knew there had been an altercation on the Blog. I have deleted all the entries from and about people dissatisfied with the service they receive from some of our shops. I do not think any were libellous or even particularly unpleasant and they would no doubt pass as "fair comment" (this is actually a technical term meaning someone's opinion) , but whilst those who posted negative comments were anonymous and will not have to face those who might have been offended, I am not and will. For my part I have never had any problem with anyone in any Maiden Newton shop in the last 25 years.
I cannot delete individual comments so I have deleted everything and reposted the other threads as new topics.
It is possible to make this a moderated blog where every comment would have to be passed by me but I have avoided this as I believe it would spoil the flow of ideas. I do not wish to sound like a school teacher but it is not difficult to present a powerful argument whilst being scrupulously polite. I have managed to upset lots of people by being polite! It's a gift.
Talking of anonymity I have thought a great deal about the suggestion that our parish, district and county councillors should become involved in the Blog. It is just my opinion of course but I think that the open rough and tumble of a public blog is not the sort of thing that councillors should get involved in. They have an official position and need to address the concerns of their electorate in a more formal manner than the blog would allow. Also I have noticed that many of the concerns expressed here are rather vague and not amenable to simple answers or, sometimes, any answers at all. Finally these concerns are usually anonymous and councillors are not obliged to respond to anonymous petitions, not least because the anonymous person may not be from their constituency. I happen to know that councillors do read the Blog and I have promised to print out the posts for Sally Falkingham.
I hope that this blog, which has turned out to be more popular than I dared hope, will continue to receive your support. I applaud vigorous debate but I think that in a small community such as ours there must be stricter limits than would be needed in the wider cyberspace.

8 Comments:

  • The comment's made were from people who have experienced this kind of thing,but obviously not wanted.I thought the blog was for such thing's but because some people can't take certain views they are removed.I thought it would be good to be able to air one's comment's butafter this i will not be getting involved with local affair's on this site.Where is has the freedom of speech gone?HIP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 20 April, 2006  

  • It is a shame HIP feels this way but there are limits,maybe if comment's were more constructive it would help.I hope you will use the Blog again as it is a worthwhile tool for people to still have thier say and there has also been alot of time and effort put into it.ST

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 20 April, 2006  

  • I think i know who ST is and what do you know about what goes on in village life,i believe you are a part time local.HIP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 20 April, 2006  

  • I have frankly had enough of the destructive comments made here and I disassociate myself from all negative comments made recently. This blog is now moderated. All comments made by non-members will have to be passed by me.

    By Blogger John, at Thursday, 20 April, 2006  

  • It's a shame this is moderated. I for one am not looking to name or shame anyone but I do think that people should be allowed to add comments as they see fit. Those that are libelious should indeed be investigated and the authors dealt with. What happened to freedom of speech?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, 20 April, 2006  

  • How can one investigate them? Who is going to do it? Why should I put up with people hiding behind me while they throw stones? If they want free speech then no-one is stopping them - they can start their own blog. John

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, 28 April, 2006  

  • I agree with John,the blog need's to be moderated because a few people are spoiling it with thier comment's.John does a lot for the community and should not be expected to take the fallout from people that are upset about the comment's made.The blog is a good thing for the community and if people want free speech either put thier names to thier comment's or as John said start your own blog.ST

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, 29 April, 2006  

  • Hear, Hear ST, good comment, Deb

    By Blogger Deborah, at Friday, 12 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home